Thursday, March 06, 2008

Portland Monthly Magazine feature scores support for "The Underdog" Sean Cruz, candidate for Senate District 23

Portland, Oregon --“The Underdog” feature in Portland Monthly Magazine drew this comment by email today from reader Nan W.: “I've long admired Avel Gordly, and agree that you should take her place. I wish you the very best of luck with your campaign!”

Here is Nan’s comment in full:


Mr. Cruz,

My name is (Nan W.), and I've lived in P-town for all but the first couple of my 53 years. I grew up in NW Portland, where I moved back to, from the industrial ghetto of close-in SE in 2001, while earning my BA at PSU. (Back when I was a Lincoln High student, I used to love to walk through the historical warehouse district I now occasionally refer to as the "hurl" district....And while I'm appalled at both the rate and degree of development here--as well as the rest of the city, for that matter--and saddened at the loss of our collective history, aka cobblestone streets, I'd still rather be a renter here than over there.)

Unfortunately, my (combination of two) spinal problems, worsening for a decade, finally rendered me unemployable two years ago, and I'm now well-into a long, hard slog to get help from Social Security, so that I'll again be at least semi-employable; able to walk fast; make art and maybe even dance again! This month's copy of Portland Monthly came from the dentist's office, which I thought you should know, for while I'm certainly smart and (bien sur!) sophisticated enough to fit their demographic, I do not have the money to buy a copy of my own!

I'll try to keep this brief, as I'm not one of your constituents, but after reading the article I felt compelled to respond--though now that I'm typing this, am wondering what, if anything, I have to say that won't just sound like fan-mail! (Quelle horreur!) I was impressed by your honesty and openness about your life-path, and read nothing in that article (or on your blog,) that would prevent me from voting for you. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As a lifelong progressive (and independent thinker) I've long been fed-up with the status quo, and wish more "real" folks cared enough to get involved as you have.

Like you, I struggle with depression--made worse by the situation I now find myself in--so don't write as many letters/emails as I should to commissioners, legislators, etc. I'm a fighter by nature though, so sooner or later I will find a way to get more involved in my city and/or state that doesn't care what happens to citizens like me! (The average wait for Social Security is now 2-3 years, and the Oregon legislature de-funded general assistance in '03, which I find absolutely unconscionable.)

My daily struggle is to keep from becoming homeless AND to get treatment through OHP. Luckily, I'm now on OHP Plus, so there is hope! I still have much to be grateful for.

OK, I'm going to stop rambling now! For whatever it's worth, I was both moved and inspired by the Portland Monthly article, and will be checking your blog to see how things progress. I've long admired Avel Gordly, and agree that you should take her place. I wish you the very best of luck with your campaign!

Nan W.

===========================

Many, many thanks to you, Nan W. Access to health care is one of Avel Gordly’s core issues, and I am committed to carry on her work serving on the Senate Health and Human Services Committee upon her retirement.

Sean


===========================

Links:

www.portlandmonthlymag.com

www.blogoliticalsean.blogspot.com

www.seancruz.com

www.leg.state.or.us/gordly/news

No comments: