Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oregon Senate District 23 voters have a real choice on May 20

By Sean Cruz, Democrat

Portland, Oregon—

I have prepared for this job for more than five years, serving you as Senator Avel Gordly’s chief of staff.

I have coordinated Senator Gordly’s statewide Mental Health Caucus for years, and I am fully aware of the scope of work we have before us to replace the Oregon State Hospital, to provide for our most vulnerable Oregonians, to address the needs of our aging population, and in the face of another recession.

I was my elderly and fragile mother’s sole caregiver, before she needed full-time skilled care.

I am running to take the seat on the Senate Health and Human Services Committee that my mentor Senator Gordly is vacating, because we know that the work is not done. The People are hurting.

Access to health care must not be by a lottery system, and not exclusively through the emergency room. I will fight for the restoration of the Oregon Health Plan.

I am calling for the appointment of a new Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, to work jointly with the House Veteran’s Affairs Committee to address the urgent needs of our veterans and their families, and I will serve there as well.

I have sought no special interest endorsements or contributions for this campaign, relying instead on a record of service to the constituents of Senate District 23, the reach of the World Wide Web, and the contributions of a small network of supporters.

I put my own house payment into the campaign, twice.

I believe that the cause is urgent, and that I am the better choice among two differently-qualified candidates.

Now I need your help.

I need your vote.

I need you to pass this message along to your network, and them to theirs. This is how we defeat the gatekeepers and reform the political process at the same time.

And I need your financial contribution.

Donate online here: www.actblue.com


Send me to Salem!!!

Here are the links to my sites:

Blogolitical Sean:

www.BlogoliticalSean.blogspot.com

Sean Cruz for Senate District 23:

www.seancruz.com

Senate District 23:

www.leg.state.or.us/gordly


-------------------------------

The Oregonian Editorial Board on Senate District 23:

“Cruz…knows the issues well…”

“Sean Cruz, who has served as (Senator) Gordly's legislative aide and chief of staff for the past five years…is qualified for the job. He knows the issues that are important in the district, and he certainly knows how things get done in the Legislature. Most notably, he persuaded Gordly to push legislation, called ‘Aaron's Law,’ that gives families tools to punish parents for the crime of child abduction. “

===========================

Ridenbaugh Press on Senate District 23:

As in many of these primary districts, issues here aren’t distinctly philosophical: The 23rd is a solidly liberal Democratic district, and both contenders fit well within that framework.

But they are insiders of two distinctly different stripes.

Dingfelder, a four-term state representative from this area, would have to be considered the establishment choice, getting the larger share of endorsements and contributions.

But Cruz is not an outsider, either; he is retiring Senator Gordly’s Chief of Staff, is well informed, has her support and the support of her backers.

His campaign has hit rough patches but may also be more interesting to some of the primary voters.

Cruz is edgier; Dingfelder more easy-going. You have to figure the edge is with Dingfelder, but bear in mind that central Portland doesn’t always go the conventional route.

http://www.ridenbaugh.com/index.php/2008/05/03/or-the-legislative-primaries-seven-picks/#more-1691

No comments: